Friday, December 17, 2010

Hole For The Holidays!

Our good friend Phil has become an artist.  Actually, he performed one type of art for many years teaching at an elementary school, where he turned young minds on to all sorts of life enhancing skills.  Now he has taken that talent and turned it towards the light...well, more like lights and bottles.

Today, he sent me his first You Tube production and I have to share it with you.  I told him that I'm thinking documentary Oscar, if not a Cecil B. DeMille creativity award.  You be the judge.

What you'll see herein are the basics for turning those empty bottles into functional works of art.  We should take a short break here for a moment of silence for empties.

With his new-found technical abilities, Phil cuts through glass with laser precision.  Correct that, diamond tipped precision.

In the video at the bottom of this page, you'll see references to many classics, I think, including a tribute to "Thing," from the Addams Family series of adventures.  "The Operator," as I refer to him, takes on the visage of this famed one handed hand, and turns it into a touching moment...he touches the bottle.  Although you may not know it, along with being the star, "The Operator" is the producer, director, creative designer and more. 

I should probably share our correspondence, prior to your viewing of the instructional film.



December 17, 11:42 a.m.  From Phil
Subject: My You Tube Video

Paul:

Prepare to be awestruck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIk_D-13u7o

Phil

December 17, 12:20  From Paul
Subject: Re: My You Tube Video

Phil:

OMG...I honestly don't know what to say...perhaps Oscar for short documentary, or the Cecil B. DeMille award for cinematic innovation, or an Oscar, Emmy and Tony for presentation of a unique talent in a unique setting, not to mention that you absorbed all of the production costs, built the sets, did the design yourself, and directed and starred in it...I really liked the nod to Thing from the Addams Family...what a theatrical mind you have!!!

Don't tell me you did the video taping and put together the credits, too?

Awestruck isn't the word that comes to mind....I have to ponder on this.

Meanwhile, I may, with your permission, add it to my blog!  I'll need some still shots...do you have an agent that I have to go through or, and I can't believe this if you say yes, do you handle that, too???

I'll never look at another film the same!  And, people won't believe that I know you and that I have, in fact, watched you do this in person...I would consider that my fifteen minutes of fame!!!

With admiration,

Paul
  
December 17, 12:31 p.m.  From Phil
Subject: Re: My You Tube Video

Paul 

Just the nominations for those awards would be enough.

Where do I give a nod to Thing from the Addams Family???  And will I have to pay for that?

Phil

December 17, 12:52 p.m. From Paul
Subject: Re: My You Tube Video

Phil:

I've all ready written them up and sent them in...

As for Thing, you are too humble...Act II, Scene II, the bottle is holding it's breath under water, awaiting the surgeon like skill of "The Operator."  All of a sudden, there it is, a hand.  I assumed it was you, I recognized the worn, yet strong educational type fingers and nails, darting across the bottom of the frame, flirting with the bottle, calming it and holding it with so much care and concern, much like Thing would when waiting on Gomez and Morticia...so clever, so nimble, so touching!

I think my blog is the vehicle for stardom???      Paul


December 17, 12:57 p.m. From Phil
Subject: Re: My You Tube Video

Paul:

ah, I see.......now.  Thing was not married, so I missed the resemblance.

Here's a couple of my glamor shots you can pick from. Plus a couple of bottle lights you may not have. (I really should take up drinking.)

The thought that you might give me a mention in your blog is far more exciting than any trivial motion picture award.

Perhaps you would be interested in attending the first Cobleskill Film Festival.

Phil

December 17,  1:04 p.m. From Paul
Subject: Re: My You Tube Video

Phil:

For me, I would say, the resemblance "rings" true...how clever of you to add something to his character and make people work for it...thanks for the pics, I'll work up something and let you know when it hits the press.

You won't believe the recognition you'll get from this and, not only would I attend the Cobleskill Film Festival, but most likely DiNiro, Nicholson and I will be fighting for front row seats...again.

I'm so happy to hear that you're considering taking up drinking...makes all of those uncomfortable moments at the parties and award events so much more explainable..."Oh, he didn't mean it, he was drunk!"  I see you have Kanye West on your mind.

Paul
 
December 17,  1:04 p.m. From Paul
Subject: Re: My You Tube Video

Paul:

With so much fear of being injured by shattering glass. (Thing refused to wear protective clothing that would hide his identity.)

Phil

Now, you've been waiting long enough...grab your popcorn and settle in for "How I Drill Holes in Glass Bottles."

No comments:

Post a Comment